The craze to focus on bone health has given rise to the trend of including calcium supplements in daily diet. But due to overdosage sometime people have to face the side effects of calcium tablets. However, according to studies, most of the adults are coping up with weak bones and calcium deficiency these days. Further, this problem is more prevalent in older women, as one in four women above fifty years is suffering from osteoporosis. The weak bones are also a prevalent part of any average adult due to improper diet and neglect.
The main reason behind weak bones is calcium deficiency in our bodies. Calcium is an important component for our bone health as it is responsible for strengthing of bone and its proper functioning. This nutrient can be easily obtained from milk, dark green vegetables and fruits. However, due to hectic schedule, we often miss out on our daily dosage of calcium. To provide an adequate amount of calcium to our body amid this hectic schedule calcium supplements have become an alternative. When these tablets are consumed in an adequate amount it can significantly contribute to the improvement of bone health easily. However, an overdosage might lead to the incidence of some side effects of calcium tablets.
Why we need Calcium and how much?
Calcium is an important nutrient for our body which strengthens your bones and helps in blood clotting and muscle contraction as well. It is an important nutrient for joint support and easy body movement. However, if calcium is deficient, our body extracts it from our bones which results in the weakening of bones. A deficiency of calcium can lead to osteoporosis, arthritis and many more health problems. You can get an adequate amount of calcium from dairy, nuts, soy and dark green vegetables easily. Also, if you have hectic schedule effective calcium tablets such as Herbalife calcium might aid in providing an adequate amount of calcium to your body.
Are there any Side effects of Calcium tablets?
- Constipation: The cheap calcium supplements have a large amount of calcium carbonate in it which is the main cause of constipation. Since the calcium carbonate, in these kinds of calcium supplements uses stomach acids for absorption, such supplements are likely to cause side effects, especially, in elderly patients. Also if you are taking an acid blocker medicine, you might get constipated from calcium tablets. The easy way out from this calcium tablet side effects is to try supplements with calcium citrate instead of calcium carbonate. Further, these side effects of calcium tablet can also be avoided by increasing the amount of dietary fibre, proper hydration and regular exercise.
- Headache: Sometimes our body is unable to absorb the calcium supplement we take due to an insufficient amount of vitamin D. This unabsorbed calcium accumulates in our arteries creating a hindrance in the blood flow of heart and brain. This can cause extreme headache in many cases. The perfect solution for these side effects of calcium tablets is to take an adequate amount of vitamin D daily. With a proper amount of Vitamin D, your body will absorb calcium easily which can help you in avoiding headaches.
- Abdominal pain: If there is excessive absorption of calcium, it can easily upset your stomach. The main cause of calcium supplement side effects is the presence of an excessive amount of vitamin D in the body. An excessive amount of vitamin D triggers a high level of calcium absorption which mixes with the bloodstream and causes several abnormalities. This also puts pressure on your kidneys as well, effective your whole digestive system.
- Weakens Kidneys: If you have weak kidneys then they might not be able to filter the calcium in your blood. This can lead to the formation of kidney stones and tumours which can also cause kidneys failure as well. So, if you have such a condition then calcium tablets can show significant side effects on your health. In such cases, you should always consult your doctors before taking any type of calcium supplements.
- Loss of Appetite: This side effect is again related to high levels of calcium in the blood also called Hypocalcaemia. According to studies consuming high doses of Vitamin D along with calcium, tablets can lead to loss of appetite. This side effect can also lead to nausea and dizziness as well. Hence if you are taking medications to cure Vitamin D and calcium deficiency reading the labels and sticking to the recommended dosage is a must.
- Rashes: Rashes are common side effects of calcium tablets. Experiencing rashes after taking calcium supplements might indicate an allergic reaction to them. This is a very common side effect in patients consuming Vitamin D tablets along with calcium supplements. Since excess of supplements can make your immune system overactive resulting in allergic reactions. Although it is quite uncommon. However, if you take a high dosage of the supplements your body might develop an allergic reaction to it.
Things to keep in mind for keeping calcium Tablets side effects at bay
Calcium is an important nutrient for maintaining overall health and wellness. However, to make the best out of your calcium supplements you should keep in mind the following facts:
- Calcium supplements are great for getting proper calcium, but you must take a calcium-rich diet as well for visible effects.
- You should consume 1300 mg of calcium daily for strong bones and overall wellness. However, a higher dosage of calcium might result in several side effects of calcium tablets.
- You must consult a physician before consuming Vitamin D for improving calcium absorption along with calcium supplements. Excess of Vitamin D might increase your blood calcium levels and cause several side effects.
With the daily rush, it’s quite hard for us to maintain a proper balance of calcium through our diet. Hence, a little helping hand in the form of good calcium supplements is necessary for maintaining overall health and balance. However, their overdosage can cause several unwanted side effects and can negatively affect your health. So, if you want your calcium supplement to promote overall health and wellness then you must take its recommended dosage and consult to a physician before incorporating them to your routine.